Sherman Historical Society & Museum
The house was built in 1829 by David Jr. after selling his mercantile business across the road and occupied for 2 generations. On the 1867 map, the house is labeled 'D. Northrop Saloon.' It appears to have been a stop on the road for travelers, clients, and drovers taking their cattle to market. The Northrops were involved in the community and probably held a 'public" house where one could find a bed, food and drink. The second floor ballroom may have been a general meeting place for the new and growing government, long before the Town Hall was built next door. The property was once a working farm and still includes the cow barn, used at one time to dry tobacco, and a lovely pasture across the brook which now includes a scenic walking trail. Preservation is under way for a local history museum to be completed for the new millennium.
This federal house was named for the Northrop family, prominent Sherman residents for several generations, who lived here for many years and owned the property for a generation after. Most notable were: David, who became Sherman's first town clerk in 1802, his son, David Jr., who built this house and served as representative in the State Legislature in 1835, and grandson, David Ward Northrop, an attorney who, after his early life in Sherman, was later Secretary of State and served both as Mayor, 1884-85, and then Postmaster, 1886-90, of Middletown, CT where he had later settled.