O. Henry Museum
Known as "the master of the short story," O. Henry lived in this 1886 Queen Anne-style cottage from 1893 to 1895.
The O. Henry Museum offers a look into the life of William Sidney Porter, the man who became famous under the pen name O. Henry. His home has since been restored and now contains artifacts and memorabilia from Porter's life in Austin. During his more than thirteen years in Austin, Porter worked in a variety of occupations. Some of his experiences as a pharmacist, draftsman, bank teller, and reporter would later figure in his short stories. His first nationally known short story, "The Miracle of Lava Canyon", was published before leaving Texas in 1897.