New London County Historical Society
One of the first goals of the organizers was to begin to collect materials of historical and genealogical value. By 1900 they had succeeded in amassing approximately 2800 items, housed on the second floor of the Public Library of New London. The collection has continued to expand, and now encompasses books, pamphlets, manuscript materials, and one of the largest collections of Connecticut newspapers in the state. In the early 1900s, the society purchased the Shaw Mansion on Blinman Street, New London, after an extensive public campaign to raise the funds, and moved out of the library.