Bolduc House Historic Properties
Built in 1770 out near the river on the Le Grand Champ field by Louis Bolduc, a Canadian lead miner, merchant and planter, the house is the first instance of an authentic and complete restoration of a French colonial house of the Mississippi Valley.
The house is built with "posts on a sill", the heavy oak timbers set about six inches apart and infilled with plaster made from mud, Spanish moss, and animal hair. The steep roof, supported by heavy tresses held together by mortises and tenons, spreads out on all four sides to cover the gallery. The house features a distinctive stockade fence, galleries and hip roof. After the great flood of 1783 the house was taken apart, and reassembled in its present location in 1784.